Sunday, February 1, 2015

I've Been Diced! episode 62: Our 2014 in review

Our regular panel looks back on 2014 in gaming — the ups, the downs, the pleasant surprises, the grave disappointments. Where do games like Dead Of Winter, Fire In The Lake, Nations, and The Hunters fit into this picture? Plus, the recent arrival of Cthulhu Wars inspires Tom to muse on the value of our games, and why recent developments in the game market is making it even harder to figure out the relationship between the real value to the owner and the price it costs to buy a game. (c) 2015 Tom Grant

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the show. Would like to know the utility that you found on BGG that gives the values of games in collection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think collectors always lead to unavailability. For example, there are many people who order 2 or 3 copies of every ASL product. But MMP would be stupid not to print enough copies for all these people (who have after all pre-ordered their multiple copies) plus all the non-collectors they expect will want to buy the game. I would think MMP just increases the print run by the amount of collector demand.

    I think it's when a game suddenly becomes popular and everyone (collectors and players alike) rushes in that collectors aggravate the unavailability problem. But of course we players aggravate it too.

    For every game I bought long ago, saw the price rocket, and sold for a big profit I have many that I bought long ago and can't sell for more than peanuts. It's the nature of markets. I bought Campaign for North Africa in 1978 for $22 and sold it a few years ago for more than $200. Then I computed what $22 invested in the Dow Jones Industrial Average would have been worth after the same amount of time, and it was just about the same. If I make a stock market return on my best game purchases (I'm no collector, but I have been buying games for almost 50 years,) I'm way behind the stock market in total.

    ReplyDelete

  3. This post is much helpful for us.thank you..
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete